Wednesday, May 14, 2008

From my sister

the diva:

Hi! Sorry for the group email, but I just wanted to invite you all to come see Iolanthe. I am playing a fabulous part in this Gilbert and Sullivan operetta. Don’t be intimidated by the word operetta, it’s very funny and light and the music is beautiful.

The story revolves around a group of fairies, a son of a fairy who is half-mortal, half fairy, and a group of lords from the British government (house of peers). There is a nice little love story between a young maiden and this half-fairy, and of course complications ensue. And as always with Gilbert and Sullivan there is very funny satire, this time mostly at the expense of appointed government.

I am playing the Fairy Queen. And it is going on my list as one of my favourite parts of all time. She’s both silly and formidable, duty-bound and prone to fall in love at the merest whiff of manliness. And I get to show off my low notes, and wear Vulcan ears and a tiara and false eyelashes that look like feathers. ‘Nuff said I think.

It plays at the Surrey Arts Centre starting tonight and going until May 25th. You can call 604.501.5566 for tickets. You can also go to http://www.fvgss.org/ for more info about the show.

I hope some of you can make it out. If so, please let me know when you’re coming so I can pop out and see you after the show.

Hope this finds everyone well.

Cheers,

Christina

No comments: