Saturday, April 25, 2009

Yesterday...

Second time into the woods that I've forgotten my pencil sharpener. I keep pencils and books in an arm bag meant for a laptop, but the pencil sharpener has a way of getting into my coat pocket every time. And as the weather is warmer...

Happily, I had bought three new pencils, which were already sharpened. But that didn't last long. You work with limits, use dulled pencils, pour out yourself as much as possible over the blinding white of the drawing-sheet in the sun.

Getting up to leave I only then noticed the meadow grass is at a height somewhere below knee level, and every new blade of it a large, perfect, deep green lance. And there was a tree in the midst. Having laboured over the blinding white sheet in the sun, my eyes took it all in as darker, as happens when you go inside a room after being in the bright light outside. For a minute it was like I didn't know where I was. And the grass was the grass of faerie.

No comments: