Friday, April 3, 2009

Dawn Redwood part 2 (they're flying)

You may remember those dawn redwood seeds I collected:



From this post.

A little more than a week and some started coming up. Unless any more decide to sprout there was eight altogether (Sorry about the picture quality. I don't have the better camera right now):



One started keeling over so I removed it. As mentioned, I didn't give these a stratification in the fridge. Whether or not dawn redwood seeds need a cold strat. these ones had one already since they were lying on the ground all through winter. Though that wasn't really the reason why I didn't give them a cold strat. I was just impatient and wanted to have some fun and see what would happen.

When growing tree seeds it is somehow very gratifying and joyful to know the parent tree from which the seeds came.

No comments: