Thursday, January 26, 2017

"Resting on an air mattress, on a big lazy lake

of my own subjective desires." --Bishop Robert Barron.





Last night at Mass I had a moment in which I felt quietly and powerfully - not for the first time - that quickness, that haste, that hinge, that total hairpin turn in the conversion of St. Paul. Who in using their imagination and empathy, combined with the reflection of their own conversion experience (which is never finished in this valley of tears), can't picture what it would have been like, even just a little, for Saul?

"What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them SKYBALON, that I may gain Christ..."

Look up "skybalon", by the way.

He said WHAT!





“I prefer a church which is bruised, hurting and dirty because it has been out on the streets, rather than a church which is unhealthy from being confined and from clinging to its own security.” --Pope Francis

No comments: