Monday, August 18, 2008

Seven is a good number

Ghazala Ibrahim Omar, an Egyptian woman, became a mother of seven children pretty much all at once, at age 27. One doctor says it's a miracle, since the mother did not take stimulants during ovulation. I guess taking stimulants increases the possibility of having more than one child at the same time - I'm not sure how that works. Providence simply gave her seven children.

There's four boys and three girls. She gave birth at Alexandria in the Mediterranean. The word for seven babies born at once (from the same womb) is septuplets - which I would not know meant "seven" if you simply told me a mother had septuplets. I would have to ruminate, and after triplets and quadruplets I would be stumped. Though now I know.

So it runs: Twins, Triplets, Quadruplets, Quintuplets, Sextuplets, Septuplets, Octuplets, Nonuplets, Decaplets, Undecaplets, Duodecaplets (this is twelve offspring in case you've lost count), Tredecaplets, Quattrodecaplets, Quindecaplets (fifteen babies).

I don't know what happens after fifteen. I'm quessing no woman would want to know. Though I'm sure the husband, especially if no artificial stimulants were involved, would be proud of his work.

Or like say, if it were septuplets - no stimulants. Someone give the man a cigar. A good cigar.

And in case you were thinking the terms were somehow geometrically based, as I mistakenly thought they were, they are musically based - which of course makes sense. See "Tuplet" here. The musicality - and music - of creation. But what about the "Caplet" ones?

No comments: