Sunday, May 3, 2020

I freaking love this man...






"You know, limitations are not necessarily bad. They actually inspire creation."

"So one day I sat down here and I says this is where I want to build a house. I had absolutely no idea of what I was going to do. And I looked up there and I says oh there's the sky, there's the trees, I want that point of reference to be the beginning of the house. So I thought okay I want this curve, 'cause orientation and everything is perfect, and so then in one second that's established. Then I get up and I look up here and I says oh, I don't want that ceiling to be that high and coming this way, so I say lets bring it down to human scale, then I turn around and I say oh I want to look uphill. Twenty seconds the whole house was designed."


Many people have little idea of how actually medieval that way is, in the best and truest sense of the word. During the Era of the Collapsing Cathedrals (a truly apocalyptic time) the process was live and learn as we go. That's how the cathedrals and churches were designed and built. The actual finish of the process is quite open to any number of executions. But they started with a root measurement, which started with someone standing somewhere and saying I want this to go here, and I'll make the reference of this particular viewpoint the standard for my own private form of measurement.

This is totally accessible to anyone today to do. The medieval period wasn't some special secret code that was lost to history. Just watch the series Secrets of the Castle to find that out. They rebuilt from foundations an old castle in France using only the methods and means of the old day and age. And people are like "NOOOO is it even possible for anyone in our modernist age to restore Notre Dame Cathedral or build something like Notre Dame Cathedral NOOOOO!!!" LOL

No comments: