Wednesday, September 26, 2018

About Jim Carrey


I watched this short film on Jim Carrey's art, his painting and sculpting.






I heard about his cartoons, but didn't follow any of that; never bothered to view the cartoons that had conservatives calling him deranged. Earlier I had heard about some graffiti antics he got up to, and about the tragedy in his life, and the lines between acting and his self being blurred.

Seeing his art puts to rest any notion that he may be a bored rich guy doing vanity projects. Not only does he have great talent, but there is a depth to his thoughts on art. I did not know he has been drawing and painting since his childhood. He is also clearly working something out. Something has touched him.

I was struck of course by his painting of the face of Jesus, as well as his comments regarding his painting it:

"I don't know if Jesus is real. I don't know if he lived. I don't know what he means. But the paintings of Jesus are really my desire to convey Christ-consciousness. I wanted you to have the feeling when you looked in his eyes that he was accepting of who you are. I wanted him to be able to stare at you and heal you from the painting. You can find every race in the face of Jesus. And I think that's how every race imagines Jesus; they imagine him as their own."

Both his painting and the drawing of the face of Jesus are exquisite.

Searching out his work, I inevitably came across a plethora of his political cartoons, which I couldn't care less about. I went to his twitter page, and one of his from late August is indeed sick.

Further down, on last Good Friday, he posted a drawing of Christ crucified - in earnest and without irony - with this comment:

"The story of Jesus is a perfect example of the journey toward salvation through honesty and courage in the face of suffering, the surrender of the ego (thy will not my will), and forgiveness. How will you bear your cross?"

I don't know, but I think we just really need to stop being ideologized. Politicizing the Church, which is the result of angelizing and absolutizing the Culture War. It prevents us from making impact, from bringing Christ into people's lives. We sideline them according to our absolutized categories.

Rich and poor, people are searching. Everyone is fighting a fierce battle. This is why kindness and gentleness can make the difference between making or breaking. Especially with so much darkness and wounds, a small act of kindness can be huge. I desire mercy and not sacrifice.

I'm reminded of what Martin Sheen said about his son Charlie, back when he was making all those rants. He said his son was seeking transcendence.

Deep down it's true. People are given things to give - gifts that are part and parcel with their dignity. Even if strident vanity, or seeking attention, or whatever may apply, deep down there's a reason, even if it's not an excuse.

Why does the stony conservative right sneer at the word compassion? At the Pope's talk about proximity and journeying with people?

Compassion: it is com-passion, co-suffering. To suffer with.

If that is not the veritable sign of a follower of Christ, then I don't know what is.

People should be ashamed for sinning against the Church, for committing grave evil against the Holy Father.

No comments: