Saturday, August 16, 2014

It breaks the heart

“The film companies, I won’t miss. It markedly changed over the past 10 years.”


The Cloverdale Reporter has a good article.

67 years old. Family owned and operated since 1996. The first film the theatre showed was Dead Reckoning in 1947. The Clova Cinema made that film its last before closing.

I remember sometimes on the first screenings for new films, an elderly lady of the family would stand at the front before the film started, and she would talk to the audience for a little while about the films to be shown. It was familial, comfortable, seeing movies there.

I never went to their annual or biennial Rocky Horror Picture Show showings. I've never seen that movie, but I know it has always been a wannabe "cult classic" - a fake from the beginning.

I remember going on some Saturday afternoons with my younger brother to the matinee.

The night shows were always a double-billing. I've seen so many films at this theatre. First time seeing Braveheart was here. First time seeing a lot of movies: Saving Private Ryan. Pulp Fiction. The Sandlot. Sneakers...

I hate the way digital technology - or its improper use - is consolidating everything for everyone. I hate it like hell.

Trivia: The Clova Cinema provided the small town cinema theatre for the setting of what television series?

4 comments:

Paul Stilwell said...

Oh! Oh, Paul, I know the answer!

The series was Smallville! What do I win?

Paul Stilwell said...

You win nothing.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I never watched Smallville. =P

Paul Stilwell said...

Nor did I! LOL.