Thursday, March 28, 2019

You have got to be kidding me





!

:)

Love it.

I've been watching this old series of documentaries called Hands (go here at youtube) on Irish traditional crafts.

The series ran from 1978 to 1989. I came across it by chance algorithm, and after watching a good number of them without knowing anything about it, I can understand after the fact, why it is referred to as the greatest Irish TV series of all time.

This is some of the best film-making I've seen. Each episode has the same craftsmanship put into the film-making as the subject being filmed. And I think it's because the filmmakers honour the subject before the film - they linger with the subjects. The film is a bridge. The commentary has to do with the most interesting: how the things are done, how the things are made. Yet it's not "how to". It's about the people and their long traditions of work diminishing, yet not a whiff of preaching or the typical highly informed social commentary you get with today's documentaries.

Solid, down to earth. Intense focus, yet leisurely. The pacing is perfect.

Highly recommended.

No comments: