Monday, February 14, 2011

Honey Cookies

I couldn't find the recipe I used the last time I made honey cookies. I searched a little on the internet and found this one. It's similar to the ones I made last time - a cake-like cookie. But these ones are too sweet for me. The last ones I made were almost like a biscotti, sweetness-wise (though of course not texture-wise).

This recipe calls for 1 cup of honey and 1 cup of sugar. I did 1 1/2 cups of honey and 1/4 cup of sugar. I could have cut out the sugar entirely. I also lowered the baking temperature to 325 F, as honey has a lower cooking point than sugar.

I also should not have used shortening as the recipe calls for, but butter. You cannot beat real butter. I used the shortening because we happened to have some in the house. It also doesn't help that the recipe calls for it - though I'm not sure "old German" honey cookies would have been made with shortening.

I did not know that St. Valentine is a patron saint of beekeepers. I discovered it at Fr. Z's. It's fitting I guess that I decided to make honey cookies then.

For some reason the camera makes the lighting a sort of yellowy sickly hue in some of the photos. I figured I would just put the pictures up in no particular order.






Found the organic flour on sale. I know, time to phone Poison Control.


It just has absolutely nothing on butter.


I bought a tub of the stuff some time ago that I've been working through. I use it often in coffee. I like the fact that it has pieces of bees wings in it. You can see pollen on the lid:


No comments: