Sunday, February 19, 2012

Burden

Lent coming up already? What am I going to do for Lent? I don't know. Sheesh.

I know. I'll write a blog post everyday on Christopher West and TOB. It will be hell. Both for me and for you. It will be the worst Lent ever. I mean the best Lent ever. No, wait, I mean...what?

Worse than giving up coffee. Better than affirming ecstatic cosmic interplanetary orgasms as the mystical foreplay--whoops, I mean the mystical foretaste of eternity in Peter Kreeft heaven. Christopher West went into the desert for six months. And came back with his book At the Heart of the Gospel.

It must have been a time of purification. Everybody praise him.

Anyways I was sitting in 3:00 p.m. Confession line thinking about how we can actually be a burden to God (and to others) and how we spend our energy trying to make ourselves believe that we are not burdensome; and I thought that maybe accepting the fact of our burdensomeness in humility (among the many forms of which would be custody of the eyes) would make us a great deal lighter in our bearing, when the words that Jesus spoke came to me out of the blue: "O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I endure you?"

And I thought to myself, "Crimminy, that's not a very nice thing to say!"

"No sir-ee-Bob, not a very nice thing to say at all", I thought to myself.

"Couldn't have said something more ecstatically affirming?" sez I to myself.

Something more Westian?






I can haz worst song written in history zinged to me?

So anyways same day I was sitting at 4:30 Anticipated Mass and behold these words in the first reading make me go, hey-ho - hello!: "But you have burdened me with your sins, you have wearied me with your iniquities."


And we say in one accord, I can haz worst song written in history zinged to me?

No comments: